As I was writing the Packing the Easter Bunny post, I got a bit nostalgic and festive, which led to dying a dozen eggs. Since I’m no longer living at home with the rest of 6 other family members, I’m left with a lot of hard-boiled protein. As much as I enjoy the occasional hard-boiled egg as snack, 12 is a bit excessive. Good thing my mom randomly gave me an English tea time recipe book in my Christmas stocking a few years back that holds the perfect solution.
(have I ever mentioned my obsession with the British tradition of afternoon tea? no? Well I’ll leave more of that for another day…)
So in the event that you either do like curry and egg salad or are willing to give it a shot, this Curried Egg Salad recipe is worth a try.
– 6 eggs, hard boiled, peeled and chopped coarsely
– 1/3 C. mayonnaise*
– 2 T. chopped mango chutney (optional but recommended)
– 3/4 teaspoon curry powder**
– salt and pepper
– Combine eggs, mayonnaise, chutney and curry powder in bowl.
– Mix with a fork, mashing eggs in process.
– Season with salt and pepper.
– I recommend you let it sit for an hour to let the curry develop its flavor before eating.
– The book recommends serving it on white bread, but often I eat it with a wedge of crunchy iceburg lettuce and a little dollop more of mango chutney.
Garnish with a bit of fresh cilantro if desired. Makes 8 small sandwiches.